Sunday, November 14, 2010

Royal Caribbean Cruises Wi-Fi

I thought I'd post a blog entry on how the Wifi works on Royal Caribbean ships. I used the service during my recent cruise on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas ship. I really enjoyed it and, I was impressed with how fast the connection was. Also, I found it fascinating because I'm certain the connection had to go via satellite at times when the ship was in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Anyway, here is how it works.
All Royal Caribbean ships have hot spots where you can connect to the ship's Wifi network. The only exception to this is Royal Caribbean's Freedom class ships which offer connectivity thoroughout the entire ship including all cabins. For the Navigator of the Seas, the hot spots were located at the following places:
Conference Center - Deck 2
Schooner Bar - Deck 4
Two Poets Pub and Cafe Promenade - Deck 5
Solarium - Deck 11
19th Hole Sports & Golf Bar/Cosmopolitan Club - Deck 14
In order to connect to the Internet at one of these hot spots, you must create a login and password. This is done at a Royal Caribbean Online workstation. These were located on the 8th deck to the rear of the ship on the Navigator of the Seas. The workstation asks you to create a login and password. Also, you'll need your SeaPass card so it can charge you for the service once you start using it. Royal Caribbean doesn't charge you for the service at this point. Once you've created a login and password, you take your laptop to one of the hotspots. You should see the RC wireless signal on your Wifi list. You press connect. Then, you call up an Internet browser. A page should come up on the browser that asks you how you want to pay for using the Internet. You have 2 options: you can pay the standard rate which is 65 cents a minute or you can buy a prepaid plan. Royal Caribbean offers 5 prepaid plans. They are:
60 minutes for $35 which breaks out to 58 cents a minute
90 minutes for $55 which breaks out to 55 cents a minute
150 minutes for $75 which breaks out to 50 cents a minute
250 minutes for $100 which breaks out to 40 cents a minute
500 minutes for $150 which breaks out to 30 cents a minute
Once you choose which option you want and press enter, you will be billed for the service and, you will be connected to the Internet. The webpage that offered you the prepaid plans will show you how many minutes you've used and at what cost. That page is helpful as it enables you to have some idea how many minutes you have left or how much you will be billed if you used the standard rate. It also enables you to disconnect from the Internet though you still have to break the Wifi connection on your laptop i.e. disconnect a second time. Also, at the end of the cruise, you will lose any minutes you don't use on your prepaid plan i.e. you can't carry them over to your next cruise. If you go over your prepaid minutes, you will be billed the standard rate per minute for the overage.
If you belong to Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor Society, you may find a coupon in the coupon booklet that will be left in your cabin. This was the case during my cruise. The coupon will save you either $5 or 10% of your Internet bill. In my case, I opted for the prepaid 500 minute plan so it save me $15. That isn't tons but, it is something.
Also, from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m., the Wifi network will go down. I was told by another cruiser that they took the system down during that time for maintenance. I don't know if that's true but, they system definitely goes down during those times. I can personally vouch for that.
Lastly, if you want to change your password on the system, you have to go to one of the Royal Caribbean Online workstations. You enter your login and whatever you want your new password to be. You'll have to swipe your SeaPass during this process. You won't lose any prepaid minutes you have left on your account. I can personally vouch for that. I changed my password during my recent cruise after I thought I'd lost the piece of paper I'd written my login and password on. I later found it in my wallet. Oops!
I hope this entry answers most questions about Royal Caribbean's Wifi service on its ships. I really liked the service and, I'll be using it again when I go my Alaska cruise next year. I would definitely recommend it.

Update: September 11, 2013

Since so many people have read this post, I thought I'd post some more information on it about Royal Caribbean's Wi-Fi.

First, Royal Caribbean plans to upgrade all its ships to where you'll be able to access the ship's Wi-Fi network any where on the ship. This upgrade is performed when the ship goes into dock for other improvements like adding a number of their popular pay restaurants. The unofficial Royal Caribbean blog has a schedule list of when the ships will go into dry dock to get the upgrades including ship wide Wi-Fi. Here's the link:  http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/ship-upgrade-list-and-schedule. However, I don't know how current this list is.

Second, Royal Caribbean's Chief Information Office (CIO) Bill Martin did an interview with InformationWeek on September 9th, 2013 (http://www.informationweek.com/global-cio/interviews/royal-caribbean-broadens-bandwidth-horiz/240160918) where he tells of what Royal Caribbean is doing to improve Wi-Fi on their ships such as add more antennas to pick up satellites and plans to introduce an e-commerce portal (as far as I know it isn't available yet) where customers will be able to buy daily ($49) (my opinion: no thanks!) and weekly ($179) (my opinion: maybe, if this means I have unlimited minutes during that week) packages. He mentions that Royal Caribbean has increased its band width 7 fold which enabled it to give customers who were sailing with them when they celebrated their 50 millionth customer a free hour of Internet and, they encouraged them to post pictures. Something he says they couldn't have done a year ago.

My experience on trying to post pictures on their Wi-Fi has been hit and miss due to the slowness of the connection at times. I plan to test their Majesty of the Seas Wi-Fi this month when I sail on her and, I'll report back on how things went on trying to post pictures. You may even get to see one of this blog. Stay tuned.

Update March 16, 2014: First, Navigator of the Seas has ship-wide Wi-Fi now. Second, it and the Allure of the Seas (these are the only 2 ships that offer this) offer 2 unlimited Wi-Fi packages. For 1 person, it costs $189.95. For 2 people, it costs $229.95. In my opinion, for a long cruise, it would be worth buying one of these packages. For a short cruise like the ones Majesty of the Seas does, it wouldn't be worth it. Also, you can use your Crown & Anchor discount coupons on these packages. If you want to know how good the current Wi-Fi is on Navigator of the Seas. Here is a link to a daily blog a contributor on the unofficial Royal Caribbean blog posted on February 15, 2014 about how the Wi-Fi was on ship.

Lastly, here are links to 2 other blog entries I've posted on Wi-Fi with Royal Caribbean. The one on Majesty of the Seas gives the Wi-Fi rates for that ship which are different from the rates on other ships. I don't know why they're so different. Next month, I sail on Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas and, I'll find out if the rates have changed as well as how well the Wi-Fi works on that ship. I'll post something on here about my experiences with it. I'll definitely be using it for this cruise where I'll be visiting Mexico, Guatemala (for the first time), Costa Rica (for the first time), Panama (for the first time) and Colombia (for the first time). Stay tuned.

Update May 22, 2014: I'm including links to 2 more blog entries I did on Wi-Fi for Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas and Independence of the Seas. Interestingly, Independence of the Seas offers 2 unlimited Wi-Fi packages making it the 3rd Royal Caribbean ship to offer this. The unlimited Wi-Fi packages are lot better deal than what was offered on Legend of the Seas or Majesty of the Seas.

Royal Caribbean Wi-Fi Update
Majesty of the Seas Wi-Fi
Legend of the Seas Wi-Fi
Independence of the Seas Wi-Fi
Serenade of the Seas WiFi

Update May 30, 2014: My apologies on the link to my blog entry for Independence of the Seas Wi-Fi. I apparently didn't set it up right and so, it didn't work. It should work now. Also, I made a correction concerning the Oasis and Allure of the Seas. These 2 ships had ship wide Wi-Fi from the beginning. Lastly, if Royal Caribbean has stayed to schedule (see schedule link further up in this blog entry), there should be just 3 ships that DON'T have ship wide Wi-Fi. They're Explorer of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas and Majesty of the Seas. I suspect Majesty of the Seas will never get it as I think they're going to transfer that ship to one of their other cruise lines in time like they did with its sister ship Sovereign of the Seas.

Update October 18, 2014: I found out to my great annoyance the links to blog entries on Majesty of the Seas, Legend of the Seas and Independence of the Seas didn't work. After much experimenting, I believe they're working now. Also, on the Legend of the Seas Wi-Fi, I did another cruise on that ship last month and, its rates haven't changed i.e. they're still pretty expensive. I would definitely look for cheaper or free Wi-Fi hotspots when in port vice using the ship's Wi-Fi. Lastly, the end of January 2015, I'll be on Majesty of the Seas again (I'll be treating my favorite aunt to her first 2 cruises). I'll let you know if there has been any changes in the rates as well as how much free (really) Wi-Fi a Diamond member gets on that ship. Stay tuned.

Update December 7, 2014:  Royal Caribbean Blog has a new article that tells of the Wi-Fi rates on Royal Caribbean's new Quantum of the Seas. The ship offers 3 tiers of packages: Basic, Premium and Premium Plus. Basic is the slowest and cheapest while Premium Plus is the fastest and most expensive. There are 4 levels of plans of for each tier: hourly rate, daily rate, unlimited rate for 1 device and unlimited rate for 2 devices. Prices start at $20 for Basic 1 hour rate and go up to $400 for Premium Plus for unlimited rate for 2 devices. Royal Caribbean promises to deliver the same high speed rates on the ship that you can find on land. They aim to provide this through a partnership with O3B which supplies low orbiting satellites that target specifically the ship vice a region. The article can be found at: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2014/12/04/royal-caribbean-reveals-prices-new-fast-quantum-of-the-seas-wi-fi

Update September 20, 2015: I added a new link to my blog entry on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas and what I thought of its WiFi (I sailed on it July 26 to August 8, 2015) as well as what plans they offer on the ship. The ship does offer something different in that you get unlimited minutes and pay a flat rate per day. Also, you can have a second device with unlimited minutes at half the price of the first device. See my blog entry to see what I'm talking about. Lastly, the ship's WiFi is available throughout the ship vice the old system where it was available only in certain locations. Next year, I'll be sailing on Independence of the Seas for the second time. I'm hoping it'll have the new VOOM system Royal Caribbean is coming out with so, I can see how well it works and, if it lives up to all the hype Royal Caribbean is saying about it. We'll see. Stay tuned.

Update April 30, 2016: Ref a April 29, 2016 article on www.royalcaribbeanblog.com: Royal Caribbean Chief Executive Officer Michael Bayley states that by May 1st (as far as I can tell of this year) EVERY ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet will have the new VOOM WiFi system. Also, they've unveiled a 2 tier set of plans. One is just for emails and checking various websites while the more expensive plan allows for video and streaming. I haven't had the chance to use VOOM yet but, if what Bayley says is true, I'll get to try it on my November cruise on Independence of the Seas. I'll definitely post some where on my blog after I get back from that cruise what I think of it and whether it does it live up to all its hype. We'll see. Happy web surfing all!

8 comments:

Noelani Lee said...

Hi!

I stumbled up your blog when I was researching about the internet for my upcoming cruise! I just have a quick question for you :) If you buy a prepaid package, say for 60 minutes, do you have to use the whole 60 minutes in one sitting? I also have a travel blog that I keep for my friends and family and I thought I could save money by uploading my blog, maybe ten minutes a day.

Thanks!
Alexandra

Ditto said...

To Alexandra,

Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner as you can see, I haven't been posting much on my blog. I will posting more stuff soon as I leave for a 7 day Alaska cruise in June.

Concerning your questions, no you don't have use the whole 60 minutes in 1 sitting. You can space it out. The Internet account you'll create on your ship will keep track of your minutes and each time you log on, it'll tell you how many minutes you have left.

Lastly, if you're a member of the Crown & Anchor society, you may get a coupon in the coupon booklet they'll leave in your cabin that'll get you a discount on their Internet.

Anonymous said...

I am at this moment on Voyager of the Seas. Wi-fi on this ship sucks. $35 for 60 minutes and most of that time was used up loading. Connection is very slow. Only 6 hot spots on this entire ship which carries over 3000 passengers.

Ditto said...

To Anonymous, the 6 hot spots doesn't surprise me. I believe that was number that was on the Navigator of the Seas and may be standard for the Voyager class of ships. I do believe Royal Caribbean is working to change this on their ships. One upgrade they made on the Radiance of the Seas was to make WiFi available throughout the ship vice 6 hotspots. Concerning the connection speed, I would recommend you talk to Customer Service and see what they say about that. Also, you may be trying to use the Internet on the ship when a lot of others are which might slow the connection down. I remember experiencing occasional slow connection periods. I'd stop and try later. Concerning the $35 thing, the fewer minutes you buy, the more expensive they tend to be. That seems to be standard with Royal Caribbean. That's the only help I can give you. I don't have any official connection with Royal Caribbean. I'm someone who simply likes cruising with them and has used their ship WiFi twice. Good luck and, I hope you have a great cruise on the Voyager of the Seas.

Anonymous said...

Do you know if the account/password can be used for more than one computer (not simultaneously?)

I want to be able to buy an internet package but be able to use it on my laptop or my wife's laptop.

We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas next week...

Thanks for the info!

Ditto said...

I believe (I'm not an absolute authority on this) that you can use the account on other computers. The reason I say that is the ship will have its own computers you can can access the Internet on and, you wouldn't be able to use the same computer every time so, the account should be able to be used on more than 1 computer.

Concerning the Allure, I saw it as it arrived in Ft. Lauderdale from its maiden voyage across the Atlantic. It did look impressive. So did its sister ship the Oasis which was in port when I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale for the beginning of the my cruise. Hope you have a great cruise.

cruisermike said...

We just got back from an Allure of the Seas voyage to the Caribbean. The wifi was indeed pervasive. We have done the Navigator twice and are going on a back to back in April. Me wifi experience on the Nav has been less than note worthy. Connect and disconnect are time consuming and unreliable.
I purchased a 7/24 plan on the Allure. My wife and I used the same password, not at the same time though.
I used the 10% discount coupon.
The major benefit was being able to access the wifi in our cabin and every place we visited on the ship.
The limited hot spots on the Navigator are not condusive to doing business. Some of still have to manage our business while travelling, thus the reason for dependable and accessible wifi access,

Ditto said...

I concur with you cruisermike about the hotspots on Navigator of the Seas. They're an inconvenience. I think Royal Caribbean is gradually doing away with them on their ships and making WiFi available throughout their ships. It wouldn't surprise me if when Navigator goes in for a refit that they do that upgrade.

I would heartily recommend you use the discount coupon considering how expensive the WiFi is. I was pleased to see my discount coupon went up to 15% when I made Platinum with Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor program.