Sunday, October 03, 2010

Alaskan Cruises

I've been debating what to do travel wise next summer. I don't want to go some place where it's hot. If I want heat, I can stay home. Also, I didn't want to run into the air conditioning problem (there wasn't any in some of the hotels) I ran into during my tour of Ireland. My friend Harvey had suggested doing an Alaskan cruise. My initial impression was negative as I felt that would be largely scenic. To me, after a while, lots of pretty scenery gets boring. However, my travel agent Joel Mills assured me there was more including history and culture. Then, I checked into prices. Initially, that shot that down. The Alaskan cruising season can be pricey. I suspect that's because it is a limited season due to the ice and cold. However, Royal Caribbean finally settled the matter for me when they had a cruise sale last week. To my surprise, I was able to get an Alaskan cruise for $1,115 for a balcony cabin (double that since I'm adamant about having my own cabin). I can handle that plus, the airfare wasn't disastrous - $750 round trip. So, I'll get to do my first Alaskan cruise after all next summer.
REMINDER: Later this year, I'll get to visit Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico for the first time. Also, my Globus tour of Peru is still on for early next year. So, there will be lots of new travel posts and pictures on here in the upcoming months. Stay tuned.

No comments: