Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Sadists

I had to work yesterday at the Post Office. Mondays are always bad at the Post Office. You have to case, pack up and deliver two days of mail vice the normal one. To make things worse, we were going through the Christmas surge. We were getting a LOT more packages and a lot more letter type mail i.e. Christmas cards. Yesterday, I was willing to swear the clerks had turned into sadists. As I said, Mondays are always bad but yesterday, someone really seem to lay it into me. I was assigned to rural route 15 which is always terrible on Mondays. It has a large senior citizen development which gets a lot of mail as well as businesses which you have to hit before they close. Because of the businesses, you are under time constraints.
I walked into the Post Office and I heard Christmas music. Considering how things were going to be there, that was the last thing I wanted to listen to. Then, I got to the route case where I would case route 15's mail. I was floored. Someone had covered the table portion of the case with 400 plus fliers. They also dumped 12 tubs of mail. I was swamped and I hadn't even started. At this point, part of me wanted to turn around and walk out. But, I had a job to do so I gritted my teeth and got to it. It got worse. I'd managed to get through 8 tubs when they dumped the Direct to Point Service (DPS) mail on me. If you haven't read my blogs on this before, DPS mail is mail that is sorted for the carrier by machine. In theory, all the carrier has to do is put it in their case. In reality, you still have to go through because the machines make mistakes. Sometimes, they make a lot of them. The clerks dumped 8 trays of DPS mail on me. A tray will hold at least 200 pieces of letter mail so that means I had over 1,600 letters and advertisements dumped on me on top of the mail the clerks sorted themselves and the tubs they expected me to sort. I also had over 35 large packages, 50 small packages, 15 certified letters and 4 registered packages. It was going to be a VERY long day.
Ideally on route 15, you want to have your truck loaded and leave the Post Office by Noon. The reason for that is because it typically takes 5 hours to deliver all the mail on the route. Because of all the mail I got hit with, I didn't leave the Post Office till 3 p.m. Before I left, I told the Postmaster I would need help if he wanted me back before 6 p.m. Thankfully, I did get some help from fellow substitute carriers. Thanks to the help, I finished at 7:45 p.m. I drove back to the Post Office where I turned in the certified and registered mails I wasn't able to deliver. Also, I left the mail I wasn't able to deliver for the primary carrier on route 15. He'll have to try to deliver it tomorrow. I'm glad I have today off because I need it to recover from yesterday. I'm seriously tempted to tell my supervisor there I won't work any more Mondays. They're just not worth it. We'll see what I decide to do. Cheers all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

The route I'm holding down is the heaviest in my post office. I had about the same amount of mail as you did on Monday (more DPS but a couple less tubs of flats than you).

However, 15 certified letters! Holy Toledo! 4 regies? Oh my gosh! I thought my 5 certs, 2 express mails, and 1 registered was bad.

Yikes. They ought to give you a medal... and a raise.