Saturday, September 16, 2006

Bad News Good News

I got word that I'm going to be the substitute mail carrier on rural route 6. The news was good and bad or vice versa. Bad in that my weekends will be virtually gone as I'll sub on the route on Saturdays with me also subing on Mondays and Fridays on rural routes 2 and 10. Bad because it's another 9 hour plus route which means another 12 work day for me. I can't wait for the day where I'll be able to do the route in the time that it's been assessed in. Bad because I'll be spending three days next week training on the route and then do the route solo two more. That's bad because that means I'll only be able to work for Medieval Times one day (Sunday) unless I can manage to help the primary carrier get it done on the training days in time to where I can go work at Medieval Times for another 3 or 4 hours. Bad in that I didn't get to do my new job at Medieval Times very long before this came down. Bad because I won't be able to work at all at SHARE during bagging week. Bad in that this route was so stressful that the previous sub walked out and never came back. Something, I've thought about doing at times. The main reason I don't leave the Post Office is because it is the best thing I have going right now. It offers a good future to it and pays really well.
Good first and foremost because it means more MONEY. I'll be guaranteed 26 hours a week now at the Post Office. I'll earn more during those 26 hours than I'd make working 56 at Medieval Times. Good in that it is something of a kudo that they gave me another route. I doubt they'd give me a third route to sub on if I was doing a bad job. (though they may have given me this route because I haven't quit yet, working at the Post Office has definitely taught me perseverance!) Good in that I'll get more experience as a postman.
We'll see how goes. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue to work at Medieval Times in Sound and Lighting. I got to try it a little this past Wednesday and I enjoyed it. Because of the increased hours at the Post Office, I doubt I'll try out for Lord Chancellor. I don't think they'll want someone who can do the part only 3 days a week. Another nice thing about the increased hours is it makes my chances of getting to go on the Globus Scandanavia tour more likely money wise. The big question is will I be able to get the time off from the Post Office. Right now, I don't know. I suspect maybe not but we'll see. I know if I don't get to go on that tour because of the Post Office, I going to be really miffed. We'll see what happens.

No comments: