Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Review of Dollar Tree's Anti-gravity Ballpoint Pen

One semi good deal you can find at Dollar Tree stores is it's anti-gravity ballpoint pen. By anti-gravity, they mean you can write at any angle like you can with a Fisher Space Pen. Both pens use the same technology i.e. a pressurized ink cartridge. The pen doesn't state what it's temperature ranges are like the Fisher Space pen but, I would think it would still work in very cold and very hot temperatures because of the pressurization forcing the ink out. The pen comes at a significant savings compared to a Fisher Space pen. Dollar Tree sells the pen for $1 whereas the cartridge for the Fisher Space pen costs $5 alone.

One downside to the pen and why I call this a semi good deal is you can't get new cartridges for the pen as far as I know though I plan to keep looking. Nor can you put a Fisher Space pen cartridge in the pen to replace the spent cartridge it came with. The Fisher Space pen cartridge isn't long enough even with the extender it comes with for certain click pens like Parker pens.

The cartridge in the pen comes in standard black ink. The pen comes in 2 designs apparently and 2 different colors - gray and black. Advertising on the box can be a little over the top as there isn't any cruise control with the pen.

Overall, the pen is a pretty good deal BUT, I'd really like to be able to get cartridges that would work with the pen. I hate throwing away a perfectly good pen just because the cartridge is used up. I still hope to find replacement cartridges for it. Happy writing all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever find a place to buy a REFILL for the anti-gravity pen? Thanks for writing a great, detailed, thorough review of this pen.

Ditto said...

Hi Anonymous,

No, I haven't found a place to buy a refill for the pen. I suspect the refill would cost you more than the pen. So, it would be cheaper to buy another space pen though I'd hate wasting a perfectly good pen body because I couldn't get a refill for it. I found a similar situation with a cheap flashlight I bought there. The batteries would cost more than the flashlight!

Anonymous said...

Mine leaked all over, very blotchy and I threw it away.

Ditto said...

Bummer about the pen Johnnythegeek. I've never had that happen to me with these pens though I don't use them a lot. I've found the Fisher Space Pens more reliable though they are a lot more expensive. The refills for those pens are at least $5 a piece.

CarribeanBlue said...

I bought the pens as stocking stuffers for my kids. The one pen leaked all over, just like Jonnythegeek's.