Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Venice Italy


This is a photo I took of the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy in 1996. I was in the Air Force at the time. I got tagged to do a temporary duty assignment to Italy. On my free time, I decided to take a train to Venice. I was glad I did. I found the place incredible. It's only town I know of that you would need a motorboat to get around. Also, it gives a whole new meaning to the word alleyway. I tried walking from the train station to the Piazza San Marco and took numerous wrong turns ending in canals cutting me off. The Venetians did this intentionally for defensive purposes. As Venice doesn't have any walls to protect it, it would've been easy enough to invade. But, would be invaders would've quickly ran into the same canals cutting them off like I did. Only a native Venetian would've known where the bridges were that linked all the various islands.

Venice was the capital of the Republic of Venice. This republic was a rich and power state for many centuries. It was the link between Europe and the Far East. It got very rich off the spice trade. The glory of that was the most serene republics as it was called can still be seen in the stunning buildings like the Ducal Palazzo and Basilica of Saint Mark in Venice.

Why did I bring up this old photo? Because to my great delight, I'll finally get to see Venice the beginning of November of this year. I'll fly in, have a free day to explore and remember my visits back in 1996 and then, I'll get to sail out of Venice for the first time on my first ever European cruise. During the cruise and its sister cruise, I'll get to explore the Greek Islands as well as visit Athens for the 1st time. I've heard Athens is dirty but, I still want to see the birthplace of democracy. Plus, it'll be something to see the stunning Acropolis. I'll make sure I post pictures on my blog so, you my readers have some interesting posts to look forward to. Happy travels all!

No comments: