Sunday, February 19, 2012

Update on Royal Caribbean Baltimore Cruises

I found out some people were unaware that Royal Caribbean does offer cruises out of Baltimore, Maryland. Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas is home-ported in Baltimore. It sails year round out of Baltimore to different destinations. In the fall, they offer cruises to Northeastern United States. During the winter, they offer cruises to the Bahamas and the Caribbean. In the summer, the ship sails repeatedly to Bermuda or Bermuda and Boston. While I imagine Bermuda is nice (I've never been there), I don't understand why Royal Caribbean sails there so much during the summer. I'd like to do one of their cruises down to the Bahamas as I've never been there. I know I'd have a number of days at sea (3 days) but, it would work in this case. As it is, Enchantment of the Seas stops sailing to the Bahamas after the beginning of April. Also, Royal Caribbean's prices aren't cheap for Bermuda. For their 25 May 2012 cruise, as of this post, you're looking at $1,400 per person for a balcony cabin on a 6 day Bermuda only cruise. To me, that isn't cheap. In my opinion, the biggest advantage to the Baltimore cruises is convenience if you live in Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia or Pennsylvania. You can drive to the Baltimore cruise ship terminal, park your car there for $15 a day and board the Enchantment of the Seas. Compare that to driving your car to the long term parking lot at whatever airport you fly out of or using an airport shuttle, flying to whatever destination (airfares aren't cheap) and have Royal Caribbean shuttle you to the cruise ship terminal where you'll board your ship.

Update: I will get to see what it's like to sail out of Baltimore with Royal Caribbean in 2013. I won't get to see how smoothly the in-processing goes as I'll do that out of San Juan, Puerto Rico (it's the re-positioning cruise where Grandeur of the Seas will take over for Enchantment of the Seas). I've heard it goes pretty quick. I found out that GO airport shuttle (http://www.theairportshuttle.com/) will drop off and pick up people at the Baltimore cruise ship terminal. I plan to try their service when I get back from my 2nd cruise (Bermuda). Price wise, for 1 person, you'd save money using them vice parking your car at the terminal (I think they quoted me a fare of $35 1 way). For 2 or more people, it would be more affordable to drive your car and park it at the terminal. Also, how far the shuttle has to take you would be another factor on whether to use the shuttle or drive. Concerning Bermuda, the Bermuda cruise should be interesting because Royal Caribbean ships overnight there. I've never seen them do that any where else. In the case of my Bermuda cruise, we'll stay in port 2 nights before departing. It should be interesting to see what that's like. Lastly, I hope to post some pics on here around then as I think there will be some seriously awesome views of Fort McHenry from the water. We'll see. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Serge said...

Individuals who have long planned to sail out of Baltimore, Maryland towards top cruise destinations should grab the opportunity to board the Royal Carribean to enjoy top-notch services and amenities towards this lovely place!

Ditto said...

Serge, the biggest reason people might want to consider the Baltimore cruise ship terminal is the convenience. You can easily drive there and, you'll have your car waiting for you when you return. There are 2 downsides - 1) they charge you $15 a day for parking 2) Baltimore is far from many of the places people want to cruise to like the Bahamas or the Caribbean. That means you spend a lot of time on the boat getting to those places - probably 2 days to get down there and 2 days to get back. That can eat up a lot of your precious vacation time.