Monday, September 05, 2011

Summer Fresh Tuscan Bean Salad Review

Occasionally, I'll get an itch to try a product I haven't tried before. Such was the case with Summer Fresh's Tuscan Bean Salad. The Arundel Mills Costco had a 2 pound plastic tub of Summer Fresh's Tuscan Bean Salad for sale for $6 or $7 (not sure on the exact price). I decided to try it. The salad turned out to pretty good. It has barley, navy beans, chickpeas (also known as garbanzos), pieces of green pepper, red pepper, green onions and canola oil. A 1/2 cup serving contains 140 calories and will provide 5 grams of dietary fiber (20% of the recommended daily intake of dietary fiber). The salad is also high in Vitamin C.

I found the salad tasty. All the ingredients meshed well. Also, the canola oil wasn't overbearing. You didn't get an oily taste with the salad. Based on the dietary information, the salad seems to be a good healthy one. Less than half the calories in a 1/2 cup serving are fat. Also, in my opinion, the salad isn't overly expensive. In regards to where to get it, the only place I know of that sells it is Costco though I'd be willing to bet there are others. If you like bean type salads, this one might be one you might want to try.

Update February 23, 2014: Within the past week, I checked the Costco stores in Elkridge,  Arundel Mills, Beltsville and Wheaton, Maryland for this product. To my disappointment, none of them are carrying it for some reason. I hope it's because they see it as a seasonal item vice permanently dropping it. I plan to check for it again when it gets closer to summer. Stay tuned.

Update February 26, 2014: Add Costco's Glen Burnie, Maryland store to the list of stores NOT carrying Summer Fresh's Tuscan Bean salad. :-( Today, I checked that one while I was out that way and, they didn't have it.

Update April 27, 2014: Thanks to a Eric Coffman, a reader of my blog and commenter, I found out Costco is carrying this salad again. I was able to buy 2 tubs of it at the Arundel Mills Costco for $7.79 each. The product still comes in 2 pound tubs.

Update September 13, 2015: The price of $7.79 for a 2 pound tub of the salad is still good. I bought a tub from the Arundel Mills Costco on September 9, 2015 and, that was the price for it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This salad is truly great. Perfect taste and blend of ingredients. I hope the Costco in Winchester keeps carrying it.

Ditto said...

Thanks for your comment Eric. Because of it, I decided to check the Arundel Mills Costco to see if they had it and, they did. Like you, I enjoy this salad and, I wasn't thrilled when Costco stopped carrying it for a while.

Russell said...

I've cut back on my meat intake quite a bit, and have been eating this salad just about every day! I love to eat it with warm naan bread. Even though it is not that expensive, to extend it further I like to add diced tomato, and the last meal I added diced cucumber as well.

Unknown said...

Just found this in Costco on Northlake Blvd in Lake Worth, Florida.
The basic idea was great, so I made the purchase $9.97.
I have now eaten it twice and today I must report the following.
It should be called Barley salad ,second largest content are checchi (chick peas/garbanzo and or nahiit). I would have preferred olive oil rather than the canola. For my taste it requires a large dose of fresh ground black pepper.
I'll follow thru with the producer and Costco, as said before this is a very good idea.