Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Immunizations for Peru

Today, I visited the travel clinic on the military base I use for routine medical care. It's one of the big rewards I get for staying in the Air Force 26 years. The base travel clinic are the folks responsible for determining what immunizations a person needs for whatever country they are going to travel to be it for official or unofficial travel. One advantage I have is that the Air Force has innoculated me for just about every disease I could reasonably catch. So, it turned out I only needed 2 immunizations - one for yellow fever and one for the flu. The Peruvian government recommends travellers be innoculated against yellow fever. I guess there is a danger from the local water and, the travel clinic told me to drink only bottled water in Peru and to avoid foods such as salad that may have been washed with it. One nice thing about the yellow fever immunization is that it is good for 10 years. Another shot that is recommended is typhoid. As luck would have it, my typhoid shot is good till the day I fly back from Peru. Prior to going on my November Southern Caribbean cruise, I'll have to see about getting a typhoid booster. Annoyingly, this immunization is only good for 2 years. Also, I've found the arm I get it in gets sore for a day afterwards. Lastly, the clinic prescribed me some antibiotics and immodium for diarrhea just in case I do catch something like I did on the Egypt tour I did. I plan to be more careful than I was in Egypt. Now, I need to see about getting some liquid hand disinfectant and some good bug repellant. Those were 2 more recommendations from the clinic. I plan on getting those when I arrive in Peru. Stay tuned for more travel updates on my upcoming trip to Peru.

No comments: