Friday, September 12, 2008

Post Office Update

It's been a busy week for me at the Post Office. I got tagged to do a full route 5 days and to deliver Express Mail/packages a 6th day. I should make some good money this week though I won't see it for a while as I'll be leaving in a couple days for France. I hope things go all right for my boss. The notorious single moms continue to play their stupid games. Considering how tight we'll be people wise while I'm gone, my boss will just have to suck it up and hope they show up.
We got a new sub who is a TRC which I believe stands for temporary rural carrier. Unlike me, he never took the rural carrier exam. Because of that, he was able to get hired on quicker however, he'll get paid $5 less an hour than what I get. So far, he seems to have a good attitude. We'll see how long it lasts.
The Postmaster informed every one that the Post Office plans to bring flat sorting machines to our Post Office. What is a flat sorting machine? It's machine that sort what we call flats in the Post Office. Flats are catalogs, newspapers, magazines, large card mailers and fliers. By bringing in these machines, the Post Office hopes to save money by cutting the number of clerks they need and the number of hours the mail carriers need to case their mail. Currently, carriers get their flats unsorted and it can take a while to case them in their mail case. Another way the Post Office plans to save money on the machines is since the carriers won't spend as much time casing the flats, they'll be able to spend more time delivering the mail which means they can make their routes longer. That means there won't be any new routes for a while which means I'll be a substitute mail carrier longer. That doesn't cause me any heartache but it would make it tough for other subs who don't have benefits like I get from the military. I do wonder if the union will go along with the flat sorting machines. We'll see.
That's all from the Laurel Post Office front. Cheers!

No comments: