Saturday, October 15, 2005

Australia Tour and Lord of the Rings Sketchbook

To be more accurate, I dug out my 2004 organizer. One of the main ways I keep track of things I've got to do or have done is by keeping them in my organizer. This has been priceless later when I've needed to check on them. The only fault with this system is I'm not the most ardent chronicler when it comes to entering stuff into it. As an example. From mid-May to mid-June of this year, I stopped making entries. I was still busy doing things but I suspect I was so caught up with various problems and I didn't feel like making entries. Fortunately, for the Australia trip, I was very accurate recording what I got to do.

Corrections on the Sydney leg of the adventure. First, I arrived in Sydney at 10:50 p.m. I believe we arrived at the hotel at 11:45 p.m. Then we had to up around 6 a.m. Surprisingly, everyone managed to get through the day fine.

We also did a one hour boat cruise of the harbor where we got to see some of the expensive homes on the harbor. And they were expensive though I think that is typical of any place. Waterfront property is never cheap.

On my own, I took a taxi to the Sydney Hard Rock Cafe where I bought myself, my sister, and a friend a city specific t-shirt. What these are are shirts that show highlights of that particular city. In Sydney, it was the opera house and the bridge. In Paris, it is Arc de Triomphe and the Champs de Elysees. They are pretty cool t-shirts, especially compared to the standard ones with the Hard Rock Cafe ball and the name of the city under it. I've heard they've finally come out with one for London and I hope to get it when I visit there next summer.

Lastly, the restaurant we had our welcoming dinner is called the Waterfront Restaurant.

On a totally different subject, yesterday I found out that the artist Alan Lee will be doing a quick book signing promotion tour promoting his new book "The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook." Alan Lee and John Howe had enormous influence on Peter Jackson's movies. The grey hat that Gandalf wears came out of a drawing John Howe did. Also, the appearance of Bag End was heavily influenced by him. Alan Lee had enormous influence on the scenes of Rivendell and in the extended version of The Fellowhip of the Ring, you can see him touching up the set with paint. Below are the cities, dates, bookshops, and times when he'll be at them. I sorly wish he would make a stop in Baltimore or Washington D.C. so I could get a book signed by him and get to meet him. He is an awesome artist and fascinating person. Cheers!

New York - Saturday October 22nd

Books of Wonder - 12 noon

Philadelphia - Monday October 24th

Friends select school - 7 p.m.

Atlanta - Tuesday October 25th

Peachtree Battle - 7 p.m.

Austin - Wednesday October 26th

BookPeople - 7 p.m.

Denver - Thursday October 27th

Tattered Cover, LoDo - 7:30 p.m.

Salt Lake City - Friday October 28th

Borders Books, Murray - 7 p.m.

San Francisco - Saturday and Sunday October 29th and 30th

Saturday - Book Passage, Corte Madera - 7 p.m.
Sunday - The Booksmith - 2 p.m.

Seattle - Monday October 31st

University Bookstore - 7 p.m.

Portland - Tuesday November 1st

Powell's Books, Beaverton - 7 p.m.

My source for this information was the Aint It Cool website: www.aintitcool.com

I would call these book stores before you go to make sure there haven't been any changes since this post in order to avoid any chance of disappointment.

Lastly, it was reported in the press that the Ontario government has loaned the equivalent of nearly 2.5 million U.S. dollars to the stage version of the Lord of the Rings. (I'm still wondering how they're going to pull this off in just say 3 or 4 hours. Any longer and, they're going to lose their audience.) The government justified the action saying all the money the show would probably bring into the province when the show opens in Toronto in February 2006. That is dependent on the show being a hit. The government doesn't seem to think the show is going to be a stinker as so many other theatrical shows are. It remains to be seen if they are right. If they are, it will be a smart move; if they aren't, they'll take even greater heat then they're taking right now.

No comments: